Looking for something different to do this weekend? Experience the free Community Festival on Saturday 17 June from 11am – 3pm.
Whether you’re a science buff, music fan or fancy yourself as a pilot there’s something for everyone at the Community Festival. Packed with fun family-friendly activities, we’re throwing open our doors to the community to give them a taste of the things we do here at Manchester.
You can go behind the scenes at the University to find out all about our work and get hands-on with many exciting activities. This fun-filled day will include a variety of activities including live experiments, interactive demonstrations, musical and dramatic performances, the chance to meet our staff and scientists, behind the scenes tours, workshops and much more. For a full list of activities click here.
Check out some of the highlights you can expect to see:
- Touching the Moon and Mars: Hold pieces of the moon collected by astronauts as well as meteorites from Mars
- Graphene Wonders: Use the Nobel Prize winning technique to make your very own graphene.
- Synthetic Biology of Fragrances: Find out how microorganisms are used to produce fragrances.
Martin Harris Centre
- Create a Song in an Hour: Work with musicians from the Manchester Camerata to create a song in the Cosmo Rodewald Theatre at 11.15am; 12.45pm and 2.00pm.
- Together in Song with the Dementia Gospel Choir: Come along and listen to this choir which aims to reduce the social isolation of people living with dementia from our African Caribbean community in the John Thaw Theatre at 1.30pm and 2.30pm.
- Gamelan Gongs: Ever wanted to bang a gong like at the start of the movies? This is your chance. Come along and see some huge Gamelan Gongs in action and have a try yourself.
Alan Turing Building
- Flying Experience in the Flight Simulator: Our flight simulator gives you the chance to take control of an aircraft and fly it in different scenarios.
- Watch Out the Robots are Coming! Meet a dancing bot and a wheelie bot. Grab a controller and see if you can navigate your bot through the maze before our fully automated version.
- Make your own 3D models: Come and play with our 3D doodle pens and make your own 3D models.
- Experience China: Enjoy classical music performances, a tour of the Chinese Garden, a tea ceremony, discover ‘Routes to China’ for students and get involved in Chinese arts & crafts workshops for children.