Off-campus living Safety

Welcome to the community and your new home

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Manchester Student Homes welcomes you to the community with a handy guide to living off campus.

The guide provides lots of useful hints and tips including, a moving in checklist, area guide, housing advice and information about how to get involved with local community groups and activities.

Be a Good Neighbour

You are part of a wider community and so it’s important to show consideration for your neighbours whose lifestyles are likely to be different from yours, such as young families and older residents. Students are, and continue to be, the best possible ambassadors for the universities simply by being good and considerate neighbours.

Neighbourhood Helpline

If you are having an issue with student neighbours, get in touch with us. The Neighbourhood Helpline is a 24-hour voicemail service for all members of the community (long term residents and students) to report issues or problems concerning students’ behaviour in residential areas.

Your new home

Whether you are living in a shared house, a private hall or university hall, there are a few more things that you need to remember to do, or you might find yourself in a bit of a jam for the next year:

  • Checking your deposit is protected (private rented sector)
    Your deposit should be protected in an authorised scheme and you should have been provided with the prescribed information within 30 days of handing over the money.
  • Inventories
    It’s really important to check or take an inventory when you move in. If you find any discrepancies or have any issues with the fixtures and fittings please record this and notify the relevant party.
  • Appliances
    Clear instructions about how to use any appliance should be available; you should not have to guess!
  • Registering with a GP
    Registered with a local GP and dental practise – you can find one on the NHS website.
  • Register to Vote
    Don’t forget to register to vote! It’s really easy and simple and can be done online.
  • Insurance
    Is your content insurance included? If not buy content insurance for your valuables! Endsleigh specialises in student insurance and is usually very competitive for a full years cover.
  • Register Your Valuables!
    You just moved into your new student accommodation with all your gadgets so why not improve the chances of getting them back in the event of loss or theft. Register all your valuables for FREE with Immobilise.
  • Personal Safety and Security
    You may forget the simplest ways of staying safe when out and about, here is a reminder of how.
  • Living Off Campus
    You can find more details and useful contacts, as well as information about moving into a house/flat, with Manchester Student Homes’ Start of Tenancy Information Pack.
%d bloggers like this: