With a closing date of 20 January there is just one week to go before the deadline for entering the Making a Difference Awards.
The Making a Difference Awards aim to recognise and celebrate the many different types of social responsibility achievements of the University’s academic and professional services staff, students and alumni.
Do you know somebody who is working to improve the lives of others?
Are you making a difference in your local community and beyond?
Is there a cause that you think needs to be more widely understood?
Enter or nominate for a Making a Difference Award!
Now in its sixth year, the annual Making a Difference Awards are open for entries. The awards acknowledge the difference that staff, students, alumni and external partners are making in their communities and beyond. There are nine award categories covering the many different types of social responsibility projects and activities.
The award categories include the following:
- Outstanding benefit to society through research
- Outstanding teaching innovation in social responsibility
- Outstanding contribution to social innovation and environmental impact through enterprise
- Outstanding public and community engagement initiative
- Outstanding contribution to equality, diversity and inclusion
- Outstanding Professional Services for social responsibility
- Outstanding contribution to environmental sustainability
- Outstanding contribution to widening participation
- Volunteer of the Year Award
Last year’s winners include projects improving safety in mental health services; students working alongside inmates from HMP Risley; promoting access to exercise for the elderly; educating the public about Lynch Syndrome; tackling ‘fake news’; providing dental care to vulnerable and isolated individuals and educating young people about hate crime, inclusion and diversity, to name but a few.
Previous winners and highly commended recipients state how receiving a Making a Difference Award has helped them raise awareness of the issues they feel passionate about and allowed them to highlight the impact their work has had, as well as providing well-deserved recognition to themselves and their colleagues.
All shortlisted nominees will be invited to a high-profile awards ceremony in May 2020 to receive their Award and celebrate their commitment and dedication. The ceremony offers a platform for entrants to raise awareness of their work and celebrate their impressive achievements.
Nalin Thakkar, Vice-President for Social Responsibility said “So many of our staff and students are making a difference to the lives of others and through the Making a Difference Awards we want to recognise and celebrate all their hard work.”
“I would encourage anyone who is making a positive contribution to society to enter our Awards and take the opportunity to highlight the significant impact their work is having, and provide them with a platform to showcase their hard work and commitment. I would also encourage people to nominate colleagues and students who they feel are making a real difference to the lives of others”
- Deadline for entries is 20 January 2020.
- Candidates can self-nominate or be nominated by a third party.
- Entries can be submitted through the social responsibility website.
- Printed entry forms are available from the Office for Social Responsibility, 186 Waterloo Place, Oxford Road or by calling: 0161 306 3059.
- Individuals and teams can enter.
For further information see the Award’s website or contact the Office for Social Responsibility, 186 Waterloo Place, Oxford Road, telephone: 0161 306 3044.