Accommodation Money

HMO licensing

Reading Time: < 1 minute

A large house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least 5 people who are not from one ‘household’ (e.g. a family), but the tenants share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. Many student houses would be classed as a large HMO (this doesn’t include university halls of residence as these are owned by the University).

If you’re living in a large HMO (5 or more people live in your student house), your landlord needs to be meeting certain standards and obligations. Your landlord obtaining a HMO license ensures that they’re meeting these standards, for example that there are enough cooking and bathroom facilities for the amount of people living in the house.

If you’re living in a student home with 5 or more people, you can check to see whether your property has a license here.

Reclaiming rent

Managing an unlicensed HMO is a relevant offence for reclaiming rent. If you find that your property doesn’t have a license, you may be entitled to get some of your rent back. You can check whether you can claim money back here.

If you believe that you are owed a rent repayment, you can fill in an application for a Rent Repayment Order here.

%d bloggers like this: