Travel University news

Coronavirus: Frequently Asked Questions

Updated: 6pm, 23 October 2020

The University is reflecting the advice from Universities UK, Public Health England, UKCISA and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Frequently asked questions:

Safety on and off campus

How will campus be kept safe?

Feeling prepared and equipped at the present time inevitably brings thoughts of health and safety. Many of our academics are undertaking world-leading research on public health and our pandemic response protocols are founded on the latest science and expertise. We’re busy making our campus safe, putting appropriate social distancing and new cleaning measures in place.

When arriving on campus, you’ll notice the changes we’ve made to keep everyone safe. For example, our buildings will have clearly marked entry and exit points; we’ll be asking everyone to sanitise or clean their hands immediately on entry; and markings on floors, stairwells and doors will help maintain social distancing.

We are also requiring everyone on campus to download the NHS COVID-19 app and use the venue check-in at key locations around campus. The app is completely anonymous and has a number of tools to help protect people including contact tracing, local area alerts, a symptom checker and test booking. Read more about using the app on My Manchester News.

Read our detailed safety guidance here.

What should I do if I have concerns?

It’s important for everyone to follow the guidelines on campus to keep themselves and others safe. We have faith that all members of our University community will do the right thing. You can politely remind people of the guidelines if they aren’t following them. If you still have concerns, you can report these to our COVID-19 team via

Breaches of COVID-19 guidelines may be subject to University disciplinary action.

For any concerns or questions related to self-isolating in halls, please email For general covid-related enquiries email

How can I keep safe off campus?

A diverse range of people live in the local area, some of whom may be particularly vulnerable to COVID-19. We must all make a commitment to protect the health and safety of the wider community. Read our guide to off-campus safety and being a good neighbour here.

Once you’re here, you need to take action to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You should follow UK government guidance at all times, including the additional restrictions currently in place in Greater Manchester.

What additional restrictions are in place in Manchester?

Currently in Manchester, you can’t:

  • visit other people’s houses;
  • socialise with people you don’t live with indoors.

This means no house parties or meet ups inside pubs, bars or restaurants with anyone outside your home.

GM local COVID alert level and University operations

The Government has announced that Greater Manchester will move to local COVID alert tier 3 (very high) from Friday 23 October.

The guidance for local alert level 3 (very high) states that universities should stay open. You should try to avoid travelling outside the very high alert level area you are in or entering a very high alert level area, other than for things like work or study.

We have extensive measures in place on campus to meet the requirements for universities, which means that we are not required to make any changes to teaching and learning as a result of the change in alert level, and will continue to deliver essential face-to-face teaching. We are due to review our current situation on 23 October. The infection rates amongst our students have fallen dramatically and staff infections remain very much lower.

We very much hope that you are staying well as we all adapt to this prolonged change to the way we live and work. Please remember that we do have support in place for students and staff to help with wellbeing.

Read more about restrictions in Greater Manchester.

What will happen if I break the rules currently in place in Manchester?

If you break the rules, for example by having a flat or house party, or meeting up inside pubs, bars or restaurants, with anyone outside your home, the police can take action against you, including asking people to disperse and issuing fixed penalty notices (fines) of up to £3,200.

Breaches of COVID-19 guidelines may also be subject to University disciplinary action. Serious cases could result in exclusion from the University.

How can I register with a GP (doctor)?

It has never been more important for all students to register with a GP. In the UK the term we use most often to describe a local or family doctor is ‘General Practitioner’, which we shorten to ‘GP’. Registering gives you access to a range of medical services, including tests for COVID-19. 

As soon as you know your Manchester address, register with a local GP, preferably before you travel to Manchester.


What should I do if I get symptoms of COVID-19 or test positive?

You should immediately start to self-isolate and follow the latest NHS guidance instructions on We ask that you notify the University via the e-form and book a Covid-19 test as soon as possible through the NHS COVID-19 app, or via the NHS website. You must put your term time address, not your home address.

Whether you are self-isolating as a precaution or because you have tested positive for COVID-19, we are here to support you:

  • if you live in a University hall of residence our ResLife teams will stay in touch with you over the phone;
  • your academic School can help you if you become ill and this impacts your studies.

For more information, advice and support on self-isolating, please see our self-isolating guidance for students.

What support is available to me if I have to self-isolate?

We will absolutely do everything we can to support you during this period. If you have a question about this period of self-isolation, you can contact our dedicated self-isolation team via email:

If you live in University halls of residence, please also contact your ResLife team to let them know and we can put the right support in place for you: Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, please email Out of hours (Monday to Friday, 6pm to 8am and weekends), please call your Duty ResLife Advisor.

For academic support, please contact your School who will be in touch to provide information on completing your studies online while you self-isolate.Where remote learning is not possible for a particular class, your School will advise as to how you may participate in this, perhaps at a future date. If you are unable to study at all for a period then you may be advised to submit an application for mitigating circumstances. You will also be able to continue to access the Library’s services, online. 

Further support is outlined in our self-isolating guidance for students.

Studying, teaching and assessments

When should I come back to Manchester?

We will have slightly staggered start dates for new undergraduate, returning undergraduate and postgraduate taught students to allow for a phased population of the campus and accommodation. This will also allow us to support new students through an enhanced induction programme, along with welcoming you back, after what has been a difficult past year, in a more structured and meaningful way than we have been able to offer before.

Induction activities will be available online, so you do not need to be in Manchester to access these. For some programmes the start and return dates may differ for regulatory or other reasons and where this is the case, your School will notify you.

I have changed my mind about studying on campus in Semester 1. Can I now switch from on campus to remote learning for Semester 1?

Yes, you can switch from on campus to remote learning for Semester One if your programme offers a remote learning option. Please contact your School for guidance on how to confirm this change.

NB some clinical health programmes in Medicine and/or technical courses in Science and Engineering which cannot offer an entirely remote Semester One, because of professional accreditation requirements. Please contact your School for advice.

What will Semester 1 be like?

In response to an increase in the COVID-19 infection rate in Manchester and in line with our commitment to protect the health and well-being of our students and staff and the wider community, we be will increasing the level of online learning. This will be implemented on Wednesday 7 October 2020.

In practice, this means that we will increase the level of online learning for most programmes and will retain in-person provision for some courses which , for example, include clinical and medical and some laboratory-based teaching. This change will be in place until 30 October 2020, but will be reviewed on 23 October.

In practice these revised arrangements mean:

Teaching and Learning

We will be retaining some in-person teaching on accredited and professional programmes; for on-campus laboratory, clinical and practice-based teaching , where it is safe to do so. All other teaching will move online, including Academic Advising and most small group sessions.


On-campus, invigilated examinations will be held only where required by Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies. All other assessments  will be held online.

Libraries and PC Clusters

Students and staff will have access to the libraries and study areas, although some may close earlier. PC Clusters will be accessible primarily via remote log in only, unless needed for in-person teaching.

Access to student support services

Student support services will continue to be offered on campus but on a reduced basis. An increased number of online appointments will be available for students who are self-isolating or vulnerable.

Will I be taught in the same way as in Semester 2 last year?

In March we had to act quickly in response to the pandemic, shutting down non-essential services on campus and moving all teaching and learning activity online.

Things won’t be like that next year.

The University and the Students’ Union have been collecting students’ views about what went well last semester, and what needs work – and we’re learning and updating all the time. Importantly, our world leading Professors, Lecturers and Researchers have been busy planning and adapting their teaching to this new model.

What if I am unable to be in Manchester for the start of Semester 1? 

We expect the vast majority of students to join us in Manchester for the start of the academic year. However, we’re aware that there might be some students unable to join us at that time, for example due to travel restrictions or medical advice.

To ensure that no-one is excluded or disadvantaged, we can confirm that the majority of students will be able to access our welcome and induction programme online and then study wholly remotely until they are able to join us later in Semester 1 or at the start of Semester 2.

There are some notable exceptions however including:

  • Courses that require students to undertake clinical placements in the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health including Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Midwifery, Speech and Language Therapy, Audiology, Biosciences with a Foundation Year and Pharmacy with a Foundation Year.
  • Courses that have Semester 1 activities associated with professional body accreditation. 

So that we can give you the best possible support, we’d like you to tell us whether you intend to begin your studies on campus or begin your studies remotely and then join us on campus at a later point in semester 1, by responding to the email you received from us recently.

I’m not coming back to Manchester until later in the semester, can I still collect my Welcome Pack when I arrive?

A Welcome Pack will be made available to all students, new and returning, when arriving on campus. During the Welcome Period, the packs will be available at all student card collection points, the AskMe desk in the marquee outside University Place and the Students’ Union.

We will be adding locations from 28 September, so check the Welcome Packs page on the Welcome website for the most up-to-date collection points.

I am on a programme where in person attendance is required, but I want to start Semester 1 remotely. What should I do?

If there are circumstances that may prevent you from being on campus at the start of Semester 1 then we will need to discuss these with you as it may not be possible for you to study remotely. Please outline these to us by selecting ‘I’d like to study remotely’ on the email you received on 18 August 2020 and completing a short survey. A member of the programme team will then contact you to discuss your circumstances and how we can best support you.   

Is there a deadline to indicate whether I intend to begin my studies on campus or remotely?

No, but the sooner you can tell us your plans – the better we can support you to have the greatest experience.

If I need to study wholly online in semester 1, will this continue into Semester 2?

No. Wholly remote study is for Semester 1 only. We are currently expecting to be operating a full blended learning model from Semester 2 for all students, which will include in person, on campus elements for all, subject to UK Government guidance at that time. Any student beginning their studies remotely in semester 1 must commit to arriving by one week before the start of semester 2 (1 February 2021), at the very latest.

I’m an international student – what is the latest date I can arrive for the 20/21 academic year?

Your latest date to return to Manchester is dependent on your course. If your course of study or research programme is able to offer remote study during semester 1, your latest return date is 1st February 2021.

If you hold a Tier 4 visa and you will study remotely during semester 1, the validity of your visa will not be affected.

How will I be assessed in Semester 1?

We don’t know what the government guidelines will be in January 2021, but we do know that under current guidelines, it wouldn’t be possible for all assessments to take place face-to-face. So we’ve taken the decision now to do most January 2021 assessments online, even if restrictions are relaxed by then.

There will be a small number of exams and practical assessments that still need to be on campus, where students need to demonstrate a specific skill as part of a professional accreditation; decisions on this will be made and communicated in early September. We’re also listening to student feedback about assessments to consider what changes we might make longer term, for example by using more online methods where this has proved popular and makes sense, academically. We want our assessments to be more inclusive – and ideally to give students greater choice.

There are issues which are preventing me from engaging with my studies – what should I do?

If you have been experiencing issues related to ill health, technology failure, or new care responsibilities that have prevented you from engaging with your studies for seven days or less, you should complete the Student Self-certification of absence form and send this to your School support team.

If you have been experiencing issues that prevent you from engaging with your studies for more than seven days, and you believe that this will  impact your ability to complete an assessment, you should submit a claim for mitigating circumstances to your School support team. You will need to provide supporting evidence of the issues you are experiencing. More details can be found at:

I have started to self-isolate – should I apply for mitigating circumstances?

You should contact your School to ask to be moved to the online study option during the period in which you are self-isolating. If you are unable to engage with your studies for any reason during this period, you should follow the guidance outlined in the previous question.

Further information on self-isolation and what to do if you become ill can be found at

I am studying an online/blended learning course – have my term dates changed for 2020/21?

Most online and blended learning courses are maintaining their originally advertised and communicated term dates for the 2020/21 academic year. Should this change, your School will contact you directly.

How can I access Library resources?

The Library provides access to one of the most extensive collections of digital resources in the UK, which are available from any location and device. Staff and students can search and access our electronic content using Library Search and/or install our browser extensions which will help ease access to our subscribed e-content. You may need to re-install browser extensions if you are using a different device whilst you are studying at home. If the Library does not hold electronic copies of the books that you need for your studies, please use the Order a book serviceand we will get them for you, where available. The Order an article service is also open to all staff and students. If the Library does not hold an electronic copy of the article that you need, complete the order form and we will get it for you. 

Full details of how to access Library resources and services while our sites are closed can be found on our Service availability page, which is being updated regularly.

I have a Library book on loan, what should I do?

You can now return all Library books to the book return bin in the entrance of the Main Library. The building will be open for book returns between 10am and 2pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Please allow 72 hours for your Library account to be updated showing the return.

However, if you’re coming back to the University in the new academic year or you live locally, please hold on to your loans as this will support us to deliver this service to those who urgently need it. Don’t worry – you won’t accrue any fines.

I am having difficulties accessing online learning, what should I do?

If you are having difficulties accessing the University network, or need advice and support with accessing online services, you can email for help with accessing online learning and assessments.

Alternatively you can also call +44 (0) 161 306 5544 between 8am and 5pm weekdays. The out of hours telephone support service, on the same number, is available at all other times.

We have updated our guides to accessing learning online here.

University Halls of Residence

I would like to switch from on campus to remote learning for Semester One. I am holding a place in University managed accommodation, which I would now like to give up, can I do this?

Please consult the guidance on the accommodation website at:

I have a confirmed place in halls, when can I move in?

If you are coming into the UK from a country where you must quarantine on arrival you can arrive 2 weeks prior to the start of your licence agreement.

If you are a new undergraduate student most licence agreements start on Thursday 17th September 2020, except for:

  • Denmark Road and Brook Hall which is Monday 14th September 2020
  • Oak House (Holly Court and Sycamore Court only) which is from Sunday 20th September 2020

If you are a returning undergraduate or postgraduate student your licence agreement starts on Thursday 24th September 2020.

Will I be placed in a flat where fellow students have been confirmed with COVID?

We will not be placing newly arriving students into University of Manchester managed accommodation households with confirmed COVID cases, which may mean an adjustment to your initial allocated room. We ask for your patience as we seek to support all our students and their various circumstances.

However, you should be aware that if any other members of your ‘household’ group in your shared accommodation subsequently shows symptoms or is confirmed as positive for COVID-19, you will need to observe UK requirements for self-isolation. This means you must stay in your flat for a temporary period of self-isolation (10-14 days) in order to decrease risk to you and all other students. For students in University halls of residence, we will provide additional support to help all of our students who are required to self-isolate in such circumstances. You can see details of this additional support here.

If there is a confirmed COVID case in my shared UoM flat household. Can I be moved into different accommodation?

Unfortunately, it will not be possible to immediately relocate you. In the case of any confirmed or suspected COVID cases within a shared household, it will be necessary for all residents of the same household to self-isolate for the required period of 10-14 days, in order to contain the risk of spreading infection.

What arrangements are in place if I need to quarantine?

If you are required to quarantine after arriving in the UK, you must book to let us know you are coming. Read more and make a booking at:

There is no charge for quarantine accommodation for the 14 day period prior to the start of your licence agreement and you will be placed in your semester room on arrival.  If you arrive in Manchester and require to quarantine the normal licence fee is payable.

If you are in quarantine you are expected to abide by all the rules from the UK government at all times. 

More information about quarantining in Halls can be found on the accommodation office website, and for any questions or concerns about self-isolating in halls please email .

Where can I find out information about arrival into halls?

We understand moving into University halls may feel a little daunting. Please be assured that our teams will be on hand to ensure you have all the support you need.

You should have been sent an induction programme to complete about living in halls, as part of this you will be asked to book an arrival slot. You must book arrival as this will help ensure we can manage numbers on sites to aid social distancing.

We require you to wear a face covering when you collect your keys and for this year, we are restricting the number of helpers to one.

Find out more about arriving in Halls here.

What do I need to bring?

We provide each room with a bed, desk, chair, desk lamp, wardrobe, and chest of drawers.   We don’t provide any bedding or towels.  If you are in self-catered accommodation you also need to provide the items you will need for cooking.

If you don’t want to travel with lots of items, we partner with UniKit who can provide bespoke packs to suit your requirements and then deliver to your hall prior to arrival.  More information and what to bring and UniKit is available here.

What safety measures in place in Halls?

Please adhere to all signage and ensure social distancing is maintained at all times.  For your information we have created a short video about the other measures we have in place in Halls, which you can view here.

Where can I collect my keys ?

HallPick up Location
Unsworth ParkFallowfield Campus
Richmond ParkFallowfield Campus
Sheavyn HouseSheavyn House
Oak HouseFallowfield Campus
Woolton HallWoolton Hall
Ashburne HallAshburne Hall
Owens ParkFallowfield Campus
Wright RobinsonWright Robinson Reception
George KenyonGeorge Kenyon Reception
Whitworth ParkGrove Bar, Whitworth Park
Denmark RoadDenmark Road Reception
Weston HallWeston Hall Reception
Horniman HouseGrove Bar, Whitworth Park
Brook HallBrook Hall Reception
Burkhardt HouseJohn Hartshorne Lecture Theatre, Hulme Hall
Canterbury CourtCanterbury Court
Dalton Ellis HallDalton Eliis Reception
Hulme HallJohn Hartshorne Lecture Theatre, Hulme Hall

My licence fee includes contents insurance, what does this cover?

We provide cover for all students in University Halls through Endsleigh insurance.  It’s important to confirm your cover so that you understand what is and what isn’t covered. To check the cover matches all your requirements please view the policy

Private Accommodation

If you have rented accommodation in the private sector, you may have some questions relating to your tenancy and belongings.

Below are some Frequently Asked Questions but you can also contact Manchester Student Homes by email at or on 0161 275 7680. Our team is currently working remotely to make sure that we can offer you advice and guidance at this time on any housing or community related questions you may have.

I have signed a contract for a house/ apartment/ private hall room for the 2020/21 academic year, but I want to defer my move in date?

You have signed into a legally binding contract for a fixed period, you can speak to your accommodation provider to see if they will defer the contract. However, this would most likely mean that your contract would end at a later date.

I have signed a contract for a house/ apartment/ private hall room for the 2020/21 academic year, but now I am deferring university for a year. What do I do?

A tenancy agreement is a legally binding -contract and all tenants are obliged to its terms until the end of the fixed period. To avoid any contractual breaches there are a couple of things you should make sure to do. These are as follows:

  1. Inform the other tenants (not applicable to those on an individual contract)
  2. Inform your accommodation provider.
  3. Seek an alternative tenant by advertising on Manchester Student Homes’ Message Board and posting on Manchester Student Homes’ Facebook page.
  4. Once an alternative tenant has been found, contact the accommodation provider and the tenants to arrange for a transfer of names to occur.
  5. Ensure that your name has been removed from the tenancy.

Note: The replacement tenant must be accepted by all parties (where applicable) involved in the contract. If a replacement tenant is not found you are still liable for the contractual obligations (including rent) of the tenancy.

You are welcome to post as many messages as you like and in more than one section of the Manchester Student Homes’ Message Board. In the message you should include detail such as:

  • Whether it is a house or a Private Hall
  • The number of tenants the house/flat accommodates
  • How much the room is
  • Whether or not bills are included in the rent
  • Location of the property
  • Facilities
  • Distance from the University campus
  • Time it takes to get to the campus
  • Your contact number (if you prefer)

It will be beneficial for you to reply to existing posts where students are looking for accommodation.

How do I deal with my belongings that I have left in Manchester?

Tenants are legally protected by Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977. There is a legal duty on the accommodation provider to take reasonable care of the goods until they are returned to their owner, they also have a responsibility to protect and keep secure any belongings that have been left in a property. If an accommodation provider sells or disposes of the goods without taking the correct steps the tenant could advance a civil claim against them.

In scenarios where accommodation providers believe that belongings have been abandoned, with no intention from the tenant to collect them, they should ensure to receive express consent from the tenant before disposing of belongings. Accommodation providers should be able to demonstrate that several attempts were made to contact the tenant and a reasonable period of time had lapsed before disposing of the goods.

Tenants should liaise with their accommodation provider and housemates regarding plans for packing belongings in a reasonable time limit. Please ensure that communications are detailed in writing and any telephone conversations are followed up with written confirmation (this should be standard practice for any dealing with your accommodation provider).

I have left Manchester and will not be returning. What does this mean for me?

Tenants who have been repatriated to their home country or do not intend to return to Manchester will need to seek assistance from their accommodation provider, housemates and/or friends in the city. Personal belongings should be organised, packed and shipped to the tenant’s overseas or UK address. It should be noted that although the accommodation provider is obliged to secure a tenant’s personal belongings, it is not for an extended period and there may be storage and ultimately removal costs involved. Tenants should liaise with their ‘packer’ and arrange for the shipper to collect packed items at a convenient time.

I need to ship my belongings, is there someone I can contact?

Student tenants that have gone home who may have left their possessions but can’t, or don’t wish to, return to Manchester to collect them before their tenancy ends, will need to arrange for it to be stored or collected. The University of Manchester has been working with Flexistore, the student storage partners, to provide a solution for students living in University Halls.

Flexistore are offering a packing and storage and/or shipping service. Student tenants can arrange for Flexistore to gain access to their private rented room to pack and then move their property either to the Flexistore storage facilities in Manchester or ship directly to their preferred address. Packing costs vary and it is best to contact them directly for a quotation – Storage and shipping charges will be variable. Insurance is usually included but can be topped up if necessary.

I am moving into my Student Accommodation in a few weeks, what should I do?

The Government advice for people moving into new properties is to take care and follow social distancing advice to minimise the possible spread of coronavirus.

If you are intending to take up residence in your new accommodation from the first day of your tenancy it would be really helpful to communicate with your landlord so they can make plans to prepare the property for you. In addition to this, if you are able to then it is also advisable to liaise with your new housemates in order to ensure that you can organise move in following the social distancing guidelines safely.

Are there any flexible contracts available?

We understand that students may be worried about their accommodation for the next academic year as a result of Covid-19. Students may have queries around searching for accommodation, tenancy agreements and stay in Manchester.

Manchester Student Homes (MSH) is a department of the University that work with a number of accommodation providers in and around Manchester. Students can search on their website to find accommodation that suits their needs, including houses, flats, studios and Private Halls of Residence.

We are pleased to hear that a number of Approved Accommodation Providers have already considered the impact of Covid-19 and the flexibility that students require in order to plan than subsequently sign into a legally binding contract with confidence. These Accommodation Providers have implemented additional clauses to their contracts to increase flexibility in order to adhere to student needs, and provide the support and care students require during this difficult period.

Currently there are 26 properties, owned by individual Landlords and Private Halls, totalling thousands of rooms that are offering the Coronavirus Amendment Policy, with this number increasing with each day. Flexibility will vary between accommodation providers but the information will be readily available on the MSH website.

You can search for properties with the Coronavirus Amendment Policy by:

  • Visit
  • Click on ‘Everything’
  • Click on ‘Search Tool’ to get the black panel on the left-hand side of the screen
  • Click on the filter ‘Coronavirus Amendment Policy’

Alternatively you can search for accommodation using the search criteria on the main page and look out for the following message on the search results:

An example of the Coronavirus Amendment Policy offered by:

I am not ready to sign a contract for accommodation yet, is there a deadline?

There is no deadline for signing a contract in the private rented sector, but rooms/houses are available on first come first serve. If you are looking for something specific then it is advised that you sign sooner rather than later. However it is best to speak to Manchester Student Homes directly with your unique circumstances/criteria before signing. You can email them at with the following information:

  • Number of rooms you needs
  • Do you want a property for you/ your group only? Or do you want to share with others?
  • What are your preferences regarding the type of accommodation? Eg House, Flat, Private Hall.
  • What are your preferences regarding a private bathroom?

It is important that students view the property/room and carefully read their tenancy agreements before the contract is signed. MSH offers a free contract checking service and will be able to help students understanding their contract or any clause within it. If you would like to speak to someone from MSH please call them on 0161 275 7680

How do I find short term/ single semester accommodation for January 2021?

Manchester Student Homes (MSH) is a department of the University that work with a number of accommodation providers in and around Manchester. Students can search on their website to find accommodation that suits their needs, including houses, flats, studios and Private Halls of Residence.

Currently there is short term accommodation available however they will be for the first semester/ autumn term. Short term accommodation for a January (or later) move in will become available at the end of October/ beginning of November.

You can search for short term properties as follows:

Please email us on with your requirements if you cannot find what you are looking for.

Support and wellbeing

This is impacting on my mental health and wellbeing. What support is available?

Our support services are available to offer advice and guidance remotely, as they would on a face to face basis. You can find the full list of contacts on the student support website, which also includes lots of other resources to help support your wellbeing.

Is there any financial support available?

We know that a number of students have started to struggle financially because of a sudden change of circumstances (e.g. through the loss of part time work). We want as many students as possible to be able to continue with their studies and so from today, we are widening access to our student hardship fund and making it easier to make an application.

The fund, which can award both small grants and loans, is now open to all students, regardless of mode of study or nationality. Further details can be found here or by emailing

As a student receiving financial support, will this continue uninterrupted?

All students in receipt of financial support e.g. the Manchester Bursary, will continue to receive their instalments as planned. We are committed to maintaining support for all of our students.

I have an existing condition, for which I am registered with DASS which has become worse and I am studying online/am too ill to study online?

Please notify your School if the impact of the exacerbation of your condition means you need support and/or advice.

I am a student on work placement, should I still be working?

Government guidance is very clear that workplaces should make every possible effort to enable working from home (with appropriate support provided to help facilitate that) and that individuals should only be asked to attend their workplace where this is not possible. As such, we expect that, in the vast majority of cases, students on work placement will be working from home. Some of our students are attending work, such as those carrying out essential work in healthcare services. 

If working from home is not possible and your placement provider asks you to attend work, then they must follow Government guidance, including making every effort to comply with the social distancing guidelines. There are also additional considerations in relation to individuals who are vulnerable or live with someone who is vulnerable.

Your health and wellbeing are our priority and if you have concerns about any aspect of your placement (including being asked to attend your workplace) which you cannot resolve with your supervisor or manager at your placement provider, then please contact your School for advice in relation to the options available to you.

How can I get involved in volunteering to help in the current crisis?

As the country mobilises to meet the challenge of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic many hundreds of thousands of people are volunteering. This is also true of our University, where many staff and students are stepping forward to apply their knowledge and experience, and to benefit society. We want to support you if you are considering volunteering and the guidance below should help you to decide the best way you can contribute.

Emergency Volunteer Leave for students with specific health and social care skills

A temporary new form of statutory leave has been created by the Government through the Coronavirus Bill. This is a duty upon employers to grant leave in blocks of 2/3/4 weeks for employees with specific health and social care skills, who wish to volunteer their time.  The University will do its best to recognise requests in the same way from students where that student has particular skills which would be valuable. Noting that you would need to discuss the implications of any such leave on your studies, if you are a student interested in considering this option you should speak to your Academic Adviser in the first instance. Faculty of Medicine Biology and Health students may be able to help in clinical settings or in specific NHS related roles. Again, please speak to your School about opportunities that may be relevant for you.

All other Students

There’s lots of information for students on volunteering is available at including directing people to the best local and national opportunities related to the current situation. Please remember to not put yourself at risk and you must at all times follow NHS rules on social distancing, which are designed to protect everyone.

Travel and visas

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has published advice for students planning to travel in the UK or oversees, and the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) has published their advice for international students.

Do you anticipate any travel restrictions for students coming to the UK?

There are no restrictions on entering the UK, however there are quarantine requirements in place for some countries.

The UK Government currently requires travellers from any country to provide their journey and contact information before they travel to the UK.  

Is the University able to support me if I need to quarantine on arrival to the UK?

International students who have booked University Halls of Residence and are required by the UK Government to quarantine on arrival, will be able to arrive two weeks in advance of their accommodation contract start date in September with no additional charge for accommodation provided during this period.

Read more about quarantine arrangements in University accommodation.

I am on placement – what should I do?

If you are an undergraduate on a study or work placement overseas you should have received a number of communications from the International Programmes Office.  Please see here for copies of the communications and other useful information.  If you are a Masters student or PhD student on placement overseas, please contact your School office or Supervisor.

I am planning a trip abroad and have a non-UK passport, what should I do?

If you are planning to travel to other countries please be aware that if you have a non-UK passport, some countries are adding visa restrictions in efforts to contain the virus.  Please ensure your visa is valid before making any bookings. You should also check whether you will be required to quarantine on your return to the UK.

I am worried about my visa status. What should I do?

The UK Home Office publishes regular updates. The latest advice is that if your visa or leave expired between 24 January 2020 and 31 August 2020 there will be no future adverse immigration consequences if you didn’t make an application to regularise your stay during this period. However, you must now do so by 31 August 2020 or make arrangements to leave the UK.

If you are concerned about your immigration status, please contact the Student Immigration Team for advice.

I’m an international student, what should I do if I miss a police registration appointment due to Covid 19 restrictions?

Police registration appointments have now been resumed by Greater Manchester Police. If you have not registered with the police, either because your appointment was cancelled or because you started your course during the period that appointments were suspended by the police, you should now rebook your appointment through MyManchester and attend your appointment with the police to fulfil your visa conditions. If you have left the UK and will not return before the end of your course, please retain evidence that you had an appointment that was cancelled as evidence that you did what you could to meet the conditions of your visa.

I’m an international student, will studying/researching online affect my Tier 4 visa?

No, if you are studying/researching online on a temporary basis, are self-isolating or are unwell and unable to study/research, we will continue to maintain sponsorship of your visa. Please make sure that you keep your programme administrator, student support administrator, or academic supervisor updated about your situation.  

As an international student, migrant or visitor can I access COVID-19 medical treatment?

No charges apply to international students or overseas visitors for testing for COVID-19, even if the result is negative, or to any treatment provided for COVID-19 if the result is positive or up to the point that it is negatively diagnosed. The same is true of most other infectious diseases.


If some elements of my teaching are online, will I be charged the full published tuition fees?

Students will be charged the full published tuition fees for 2020 entry.

We’re absolutely committed to delivering the highest-quality learning and student experience at Manchester. Before the pandemic we were already committed to improving our blended learning provision, as our students tell us that the best learning comes from both on and off campus experiences. The current situation has brought an opportunity to move in that direction more quickly.

We’re currently planning for every eventuality in order to follow UK Government Advice.

From 7 October 2020 be delivering all our lectures and some additional aspects of learning online. We are retaining some in-person teaching on accredited and professional programmes; for on-campus laboratory, clinical and practice-based teaching, where it is safe to do so. All other teaching will move online, including Academic Advising and most small group sessions.

To do this we have invested and made improvements to our online learning capability. Delivering online learning is just as expensive as face-to-face unless it is at a very large scale and indeed, we are aiming to deliver both online and on-campus learning.  We are incurring significant additional costs in order to minimise the risk of infection. Social distancing to two-metres means we are having to hire additional spaces to enable face-to-face teaching to take place. We have also repurposed existing spaces across campus to provide as much study space as possible and are covering costs of additional cleaning, hand sanitising and masks.

The Universities Minister, Michelle Donelan MP announced in May 2020 that tuition fees will remain the same for the coming academic year for all universities delivering quality teaching and learning. We’re confident that students will be able to engage with their programme of study effectively, and receive the highest-quality learning and student experience, no matter what the circumstances.

You can find the breakdown of what the tuition fee is spent on, on our website.

I’ve submitted a formal complaint – do I still need to pay my fees?

Whether or not you have submitted a formal complaint, it is important that you continue to pay your tuition fees by the published due date. Where a tuition fee payment remains outstanding beyond the published due date, an indicator will be applied to your student record. You will be notified of this via your University email account and asked to contact Credit Control to arrange payment. Until payment or a payment plan has been agreed you will be unable to re-register or graduate.

%d bloggers like this: