Each year since 1987, October is celebrated as Black History Month (BHM) in the UK. This national celebration aims to recognise and celebrate Black British achievement, and foster general knowledge and understanding of Black history.
The University of Manchester proudly presents: “Brilliant and Black” with Gary Younge
This year we are honoured to welcome Professor of Sociology, award-winning author, broadcaster and columnist Gary Younge, to deliver this year’s keynote presentation ‘The Fire This Time’ – a perspective on race inequality and the current Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement.
Following the keynote address, Gary will be joined by:
- Professor Nalin Thakkar, Vice-President for Social Responsibility at University of Manchester,
- Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester
- Naa Acquah, alumna and former General Secretary of University of Manchester Students Union.
Register now at: https://tinyurl.com/UoMBHM2020
The Students’ Union Black History Month 2020 events programme
From 1 October, the Students’ Union will be commemorating the month with a diverse programme of online and in-person events, organised by its Executive and part-time Officers, student groups and societies.
“Black History Month #UMSUBHM2020 is going to be on a whole different level! We are going to make sure it’s more involving as it will be led by students and societies, informative through diverse conversation corners, educational as we will explore community outreach, and fun as we will indulge in dance, poetry, paying homage to music of Black origin, and sampling global cuisines inspired by Black people and culture,” said Yueru Du, Liberation and Access Officer and Carol Chepkech Tiriongo, Activities and Development Officer.
The student-led events programme will focus will be on elevating the voices of our Black student community, celebrating Black history and culture through talks, discussions, exhibitions and performances, and creating spaces for important conversations and debates.
- University of Manchester Students’ Union – Black History Month
- Follow the Students’ Union on social media for event information, society takeovers and live updates: Instagram (@manchester_su), Twitter (@ManchesterSU) and Facebook (@ManchesterSU).