Travel University news

Getting tested: before you come back and our 2021 offer on campus

Reading Time: 3 minutes

This article covers testing at home and on campus for 2021 return and advice for international students. Please note, our campus COVID-19 testing centres will be closing from 23 July, but you can still get regular rapid lateral flow tests at multiple locations across Manchester. Visit the City Council website to find out more.

There are lots of options for you to get a COVID test for your 2021 studies in Manchester and all are voluntary. Getting tested means you’ll help prevent the spread of coronavirus in our community and we’ll be able to support you if you need to self-isolate.

We recommend that you get tested while at home and then book testing on campus for when you arrive, unless you need to self-isolate. Testing is just part of the solution to coronavirus, so please continue to follow the Hands, Face, Space rules.

Get tested before you come back

You can still access our testing even if you have had a test before you come back, as long as it was negative.  We’ve agreed with public health authorities that while you’re at home you can get a PCR test using NHS Test and Trace. On the website just select the following option: “My local council or health protection team has asked me (or someone I live with) to get a test, even though I do not have symptoms.”

When booking your PCR test at a local testing site, please book the test 3-4 days before you are due to return to University. Allow more time if you are booking a home PCR test, so that the kit can be posted to you and sent back.

If you have had a positive PCR in the last 90 days through NHS Test and Trace, you don’t need to be tested again.

What to do with the results of your test at home

If you test positive, please follow national guidance and self-isolate for 10 days at home before returning to University. Please follow instructions given to you by NHS Test and Trace and also tell us using the eForm.

If you test negative you can return to University, making sure you follow the latest travel safety advice. Government advice is that you also book two tests on campus for when you arrive. However, if you go on to develop COVID-19 symptoms or are in contact with someone who tests positive, please follow national guidance, seek testing and self-isolate.

Get tested on campus

As we’ve been doing in December, we’ll be offering tests for all returning students from 4 January.

The slots to book these tests are now live on our website, where you can also find lots of information about what to do once you get your results. You might also wish to sign up for this testing even if you have recently tested negative.

Testing takes less than ten minutes for most people, and we recommend you get your tests as soon as possible once you come back.

International travel

For international students, the current requirement is to quarantine on return. There is more detailed information on the UK Government website, including country-specific rules and providing your contact details before you travel.

Make sure you allow time for this, especially if you have face-to-face teaching or exams on campus. If you have already booked your return flights to Manchester, we can be flexible with your planned return date.

After five days of quarantine, you can take part in the UK Government’s Test to Release scheme. This means that you can pay for a COVID-19 test, with providers listed on the Government site from 15 December. If the result is negative, you can stop self-isolating. The Government advice is currently after receiving your negative PCR test, you then also arrange your two tests on campus.

If you test positive, please follow national guidance and continue to self-isolate for 10 days and follow instructions given to you by NHS Test and Trace. Please also tell us using the eForm.

When you come back, make sure you’re familiar with the rules in place in Greater Manchester, as these may have changed.

Support for you

If you have to self-isolate, there’s lots of support in place for you and the people you live with from the University. Please use our form to let us know and take a look at our guidance and support.

%d bloggers like this: