University news

Roadmap out of COVID-19 restrictions – more information on returning to on-campus studies

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Further to the UK government announcement of a four step roadmap out of COVID-19 restrictions, we know that you will have many questions about what this means for your return to on-campus studies.

While we await any further government guidance, we have compiled a series of questions and answers below to help bring you some further clarity.

  • When can I return to my studies on-campus?

Students on practical or practice-based courses that require in-person, on-campus teaching, or access to specialist equipment or facilities can return from 8 March. This is in addition to those students who have already been attending some teaching on-campus, in-line with government advice and previous messaging.

On-campus studies will be for the practical or practice-based modules only, with teaching activities such as lectures and seminars continuing online. Your programme team will be in touch with you in due course, if you are studying modules that are eligible for on-campus studies.

Even if you are eligible to return to some on-campus studies, it may be possible to continue your studies remotely if you wish. If you are unsure whether your programme has a wholly remote study option for this semester, your programme team can advise you.

Students on all other courses should continue to study remotely and wait to hear further from their programme team. The government will review their guidance again in mid-April to consider whether students on other courses can return, and we will contact you again shortly after that.

As is already the case, students can also return to campus if they have exceptional personal circumstances that require them to be here. This may be to support mental health, or not having access to suitable study facilities at home.

  • Can I travel back before 8 March?

Unfortunately not. If you are not already based in Manchester, the government advises that you should only return from 8 March onwards – and you should only return if your programme team advises you to. We understand that not all students who are eligible to return will be able to be here on 8 March, and will be staggering our approach to the start of on-campus teaching to take this into account.

  • Should I take a COVID-19 test before returning to campus?

Yes, it’s really important that everyone returning to campus gets tested before travelling. We will also continue to offer two tests per week to all students and staff, and we strongly encourage everyone to take the tests to keep themselves and other safe.  Find out more on our testing page.

  • What safety measures are in place on campus?

We have a range of measures in place to keep campus safe, including social distancing and wearing face coverings. Our regular on-campus testing will also help contain the spread of COVID-19.

  • Will I need to quarantine?

If you are travelling from outside the UK, there are currently testing, quarantine and other requirements in place (this includes British citizens). For the latest information check our FAQ for EU / international students.

  • When I return to on-campus study, will my online studies then stop?

No, we will continue to offer remote study for those courses where it is feasible to do so (subject to professional, statutory and/or regulatory body requirements). Once you are attending some teaching activities back on-campus, you will also still have a number of classes that remain online.

  • If I return to on-campus studies from 8 March, can I return home for the Easter break?

While the roadmap outlines key stages for the planned relaxation of restrictions, we don’t know what the further guidance on student movement or travel may be, so are not able to guarantee that if you return to campus then you will be able to travel home again (either within the UK or internationally) over Easter. You should therefore work on the basis that if you return, it may not be possible for you to travel home again until the end of the semester, in June.

  • Can you help me to find accommodation in Manchester?

If you are looking for University-managed accommodation, our residences team can advise you on our halls of residence:

If you are looking for privately rented accommodation, you should contact Manchester Student Homes – a department of the University that works with private accommodation providers.

Take care and stay safe,


Professor April McMahon

Vice-President for Teaching, Learning and Students.

%d bloggers like this: