As part of IT Services’ network modernisation project we are transforming the University’s network, and as a result there will be brief connectivity interruptions to most University services during the Easter break.
What disruption will there be?
There will be short losses of connectivity to most University services (both on and off-campus) from Sunday 4 April to Tuesday 6 April between the following times:
- Sunday 4 April: 8am to 10pm
- Monday 5 April: 8am to 10pm
- Tuesday 6 April: 8am to 5pm.
Due to the nature of the work, unfortunately it’s not possible to state exactly when the interruptions will happen.
This will affect most University services, including wired and wi-fi network access on campus and in halls, MyManchester, remote access, University websites, the IT login service and more.
Additional network disruption in Unsworth Park and Hulme Hall
To complete some further essential upgrade work, the wired and wi-fi network will be intermittently unavailable across Unsworth Park and Hulme Hall residences at the following times:
- Unsworth Park: Monday 29 March to Wednesday 31 March, between 8am to 5pm each day.
- Hulme Hall: Wednesday 7 April to Friday 9 April, between 9am to 6pm each day.
What will happen at Unsworth Park and Hulme Hall?
This work involves replacing old network equipment in each building and will result in the University network being unavailable at times while the work takes place. We do not need access to individual student rooms or communal areas to complete our work.
The disruption is expected to be intermittent with occasional downtime during the three-day period as the work progresses across the site. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the work we can’t be more specific about these times. We will make every effort to minimise the disruption to service. Devices connected to the network will not need to be reconfigured following the upgrade.
The Easter holiday period has been chosen for the upgrade work to minimise disruption to services, especially for teaching and learning. We understand however that many of you will still be on campus during the Easter break and acknowledge the impact this may have on your study, research and leisure – thank you for bearing with us while this work takes place. The changes we’re making contribute towards making our network more resilient and reliable.
IT help and support
Other than at the dates and times stated above full service is expected, so if you experience a connectivity problem outside of these times please contact us:
- Halls residents needing technical support with connectivity in their room should contact Hornet.
- For all other IT queries, contact the IT Support Centre.
Keep informed about upcoming IT work
- Sign up to the IT Planned Work mailing list to receive occasional notifications of upcoming work
- For the latest IT news and updates you can also follow us on Twitter @UoM_ITS