Anything but Research (AbR) is a PGR-led initiative that allows postgraduate researchers to devise and realise projects that benefit the wellbeing of all PGRs across the University.
AbR was founded in 2018 and, since then, has funded 20+ projects including well-known social initiatives such as:
● Manchester Materials Squash Club
● Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics PGR Wellbeing Corner
● Dungeons and Dragons
● Russian and Eastern European Movie Club
AbR is self-sustained solely by PGR students ( AbR Officers) who take on specific roles in the funding process. AbR officers manage the call for projects, update the website content and, together, assess and decide on applications for funding.
There are currently 2 posts available to take up responsibilities from May – June 2021.
These voluntary roles are open to all PGRs currently enrolled in PhD programs at the University.
Applicants should be interested in contributing to the wider PGR community and expect to commit approximately 5 days of work over the entire academic year.
Applicants should be able to attend evening/weekend meetings and be willing to meet outside of core term dates.
Role Description and currently open AbR positions:
AbR Website & Advertisement officer
- Generate the graphical identity of the fund by drafting and distributing advertisement material (Posters, Logo, image material) with input from the committee
- Update the AbR website (website content and documents on display) and maintain social media pages (twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
- Liaise with the student communications team to circulate details of the project call deadlines
- Incorporate details from past funded events onto the AbR website
- Respond to AbR queries sent to the AbR email account
- Work with the student recruitment team to create AbR profiles
- Contribute to all AbR board decisions.
AbR Execution Officer
- Chair committee meetings and direct progress during the sessions
- Organize meetings and coordinate among team members
- Coordinate and assist head in making decisions and prioritizing workloads
- Write meeting protocols and circulate them to AbR members
- Maintain the AbR document cloud
- Contribute to all AbR board decisions
How to Apply:
Application forms are available from email@example.com
Completed application forms should be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the 5th May 2021.