Both Lime and Select Survey services will soon be phased out as users are encouraged to move to Qualtrics
As previously mentioned, Lime Survey and Select Survey will no longer be supported tools at the University from Thursday, 1 July 2021. The Information Governance Office (IGO) recommends QualtricsXM as the University’s preferred survey tool, which is available to all staff and students at the University.
From 1 July, the creation of new surveys will be disabled on Lime Survey and Select Survey and all new surveys should be created in Qualtrics. Staff and students can access a Qualtrics account by using their University username and password at www.qualtrics.manchester.ac.uk.
What Lime / Select Survey users need to do:
- Delete any data in these platforms that is no longer required.
- If data is to be retained, download it from Lime Survey and/or Select Survey. Note that data must then be stored appropriately and in line with GDPR legislation. See the IGO’s Best Practice guidance for further information. For research guidance, please see the Library’s Research Data Management webpages.
- Once data is downloaded, checked and safely stored, delete the copy on Lime Survey and/or Select Survey.
- Data in .csv format can be imported into Qualtrics once you have created an account. For guidance, please see the Qualtrics webpage on Importing Responses.
If moving an existing study or survey to Qualtrics is problematic, please let IT Services know why through the survey below before Thursday, 1 July. Continued use of Lime and/or Select Survey after July 2021 will only be permitted in exceptional circumstances and these must be recorded via the below survey.
Please note that if you carry on with Lime or Select Survey, this does increase the risk to the data. Your data will not be as secure and might be subject to external threats such as hacking (hackers favour unsupported applications to gain unlawful access to data). Principal Investigators (PIs) and survey owners need to be made aware of this and accept this increased risk. The University’s IGO strongly recommend the use of QualtricsXM over Lime Survey and Select Survey.
Further information and help with your move to Qualtrics
- Importing responses into Qualtrics
- Guide: Getting started with Qualtrics
- Qualtrics webinars:
The Survey Tools project is part of the University’s Research Lifecycle Programme. You can find out more here.