Updated 4.00pm, 24 Sept
Following this morning’s flooding incident on Oxford Road we are pleased to report that the flow of water has been stopped and a clean-up operation is now well underway.
We are now in a position to reopen most of the buildings that were previously closed. These are:
- The Main Library is expected to reopen from 9am tomorrow (Thursday). Confirmation will be posted on the Library website after 5pm today.
- The Alan Gilbert Learning Commons is now open
- The John Owens Building is now open for swipe card access only
- The Students’ Union and Academy are now open. Planned events this evening will continue, and the Fair will be back tomorrow as planned.
- Stephen Joseph Studio is open
- Mansfield Cooper Building is open
- Whitworth Hall is open
Unfortunately, the following building remains affected:
- The Samuel Alexander building remains closed for now but we are working hard to reopen and will be sharing information directly with staff and students affected.
All other buildings not on this list are operating as normal.
Student services and registration
All registration-related activities will continue as per the information contained on the Welcome pages – with pre-booked student card collection continuing from University Place.
Any BRP card bookings at the Student Service Centre building which were cancelled on Wednesday 22 September, can be rebooked using the link emailed to each impacted student, and we are running extended opening hours to accommodate this. Please see our website.
Oxford Road remains closed and there is severe and ongoing disruption to travel. Updates are being provided by Transport for Greater Manchester. Please allow extra time to travel to campus and around the site.
Our thanks to you for your patience and to those of you who have shared these updates with your friends and colleagues. We are grateful to the emergency services and United Utilities engineers who have been working incredibly hard alongside our professional services, cleaning and security staff, and student ambassadors.