It’s that time of year again where our screens are filled with cringey movies, ears entranced by Mariah Carey and stomachs filled with endless feasts: it’s Christmas!
Finally, the Christmas Markets have returned to Manchester after a long 2 year break due to COVID-19. As a result of renovation work on the Manchester Town Hall, they’ll be centrally based in Piccadilly Gardens leading to Market Street, New Cathedral Street, Cathedral Gardens, Exchange Square, St. Annes Square and King Street.
Having grown up in Manchester, I’ve come to know the joy the Christmas markets brings to many – myself included. It becomes one of those annual events you look forward to every year, wondering if any of your previous favourite stalls will return and excited as to what new ones might be appearing. One thing’s for certain; you’re never disappointed with the vast selection!
Here is a list of my favourite market stalls this year…
Best Gift Stalls:
- Popsters (Market Street): They sell clocks and coasters made of vinyls, making the perfect gift for any music lovers.
- Personalised gifts (Market Street): The amazing, personalised gifts on offer here – such as mugs and keyrings – make excellent gifts for family and friends.
- The Manchester Shop (St. Annes Square): What says Manchester more than a bee tote bag? The Manchester shop offers a vast variety of gifts which all represent the joyful spirit of the city and our proud heritage.
- Laura’s Fudge (New Cathedral Street): Laura’s Fudge instantly drew me in with the majestic scents and quickly became a firm favourite when I tried their chocolate orange fudge!
Best Food Stalls:
- The Pancake House (Piccadilly Gardens): Do I need to say more? Pancakes are a must have at the Christmas Markets every year, offering sweet and savoury options to please everyone’s taste buds!
- Dutch Frites (Piccadilly Gardens): Not only do they serve delicious loaded fries, they also have a vegan option as well which (having tried both) I can assure you are as delicious as the meat-based options!
- Porky Pig (Exchange Square): After seeing their Yorkshire pudding wrap on Instagram, I knew I had to try it for myself… and let me tell you I was not disappointed! They had a great selection of meats and even vegetarian and vegan options.
- Cuisine Provençal (King Street): I visited in both 2018 and 2019 and had to come back in 2021 as I just love their chicken and garlic potatoes! I always find it’s great food to have on the move on a cold day to help warm you up.