Are you interested in developing your research skills, and enjoy travelling? This scheme might be for you! The Mitacs Globalink Research Internship scheme is a UK-Canada mobility programme for undergraduates to develop their research expertise. The competitive programme co-funds undergraduates from partner countries to complete an intensive 12-week summer research internship, in a variety of academic disciplines, under the supervision of a professor at one of 70 participating Canadian universities.
In the 2022-2023 academic year, Mitacs (in partnership with the University of Manchester) will offer full funding for a maximum of 5 Manchester undergraduate students.
In the UK, the scheme is managed by Universities UK International (UUKi), who is a partner of Mitacs, a not-for-profit Canadian national research organisation.
Information about the scheme
- have one year remaining in their undergraduate program as of Fall 2023, or two years remaining in a 4-year integrated Master’s programme.
- be at least 18 years of age.
- have a minimum weighted average of 65%, equivalent to a 2:1, or 60% if from a Widening Participation background (household income of £35k or under or who meets the criteria here)
- be able to spend 12 weeks in the period May – October 2023 at a university in Canada on a research project related to their area of interest and expertise.
- apply to a minimum of three to seven pre-existing research projects designed by Canadian professors and ensure selections are from at least three different Canadian provinces
- be nominated by UoM to participate in the scheme
Please see the Mitacs’s frequently asked questions for further details.
This is a fully-funded opportunity.
The total cost of the programme is $12,000 CAD per student (approximately £7,010) and will be apportioned as follows:
- Mitacs: $8,000 CAD (approximately £4,670)
- The University of Manchester: $4,000 CAD (approximately £2,340)
Funding will cover:
- round-trip airfare to Canada (via reimbursement)
- airport transfer to accommodation in Canada
- stipend for housing, food, and incidentals
- health insurance
- stipend towards student enrolment fees up to a maximum of $300
- support from student mentors on campus in Canada
- registration for industry events, professional development courses, and social activities
If you are interested in this programme you must be nominated by The University of Manchester– you cannot apply independently.
- You must check you meet the eligibility criteria before submitting an expression of interest.
- Mitacs – Expression of Interest and submit it via email to email@example.com no later than 12pm on Monday 1st August 2022.
- The International Programmes Office will nominate all students who meet the essential criteria. Students’ details will be shared with UUKi, who will confirm students’ eligibility to apply.
- All eligible students will then receive instructions on how to apply to the Mitacs scheme.
- Selection decisions are made by Mitacs.
The required documentation is listed on the MITACS website here: Globalink Research Internship | Mitacs
For further information on the Globalink Research Internship scheme, please visit the Mitacs website and read the Mitacs-UUKi Globalink Research Internship Scheme Notes.