Money Support Uncategorized

Applications open for Council Tax Energy Rebate payment

Reading Time: 2 minutes

If you’re a Manchester resident and you didn’t receive the £150 payment as part of the Government’s Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme you can now apply for a one-off payment of £150. To do this, you will need to meet the following criteria:

  • You have not already received the £150 payment automatically as part of the scheme.
  • You have not received a payment from another council and then moved to Manchester.  
  • You must either live in a house of multiple occupation (HMO), have your own individual tenancy agreement or licence agreement to occupy only part of the building and are responsible for paying utility bills or a share of the utility bills.
  • You are a full-time student, living in a student house with other full-time students and the council tax bill is in the name of one or more of the students, not the landlord.
  • You moved into a property with a council tax band of A, B, C or D after 1 April 2022 and so were ineligible for the core Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme and:
    • Receive Council Tax Support or
    • Do not have to pay Council Tax because you are classed as Severely Mentally Impaired or
    • You are under 25 and classed as a care leaver
  • You moved into a property with a council tax band of E, F, G or H, you or your partner are responsible for paying the council tax and you receive one of the following benefits:
    • Universal Credit
    • Income Support
    • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Child Tax Credit
    • Pension Credit
    • Housing Benefit

How to apply

If you fit this criteria then you can make your application online. To do this, you will need:

  • A copy of your bank statement
  • Your Council tax reference if you have one
  • A copy of at least one recent energy bills
  • A copy of your tenancy agreement
  • To apply you must be named on the Council Tax bill for your property, except if you live in a house of multiple occupation, such as student housing.

Please note, the one-off payment is per household not per student.

Further support

If you are struggling with the rise in cost of living, our Living Cost Support Fund may be for you. This fund is open to ALL students, regardless of level of study, nationality, or social background and is open all year round and can award grants to help you overcome financial hardship or unforeseen expenses.

1 comment

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: