Like living in any big city, sometimes you’ll need extra support or precautions to keep yourself safe on campus and in Manchester city centre. Your wellbeing and safety is our top priority, so we’ve put together this handy article to help you keep yourself and your mates safe this semester.
Get to know your Campus Support and Security team
You might have already seen members of our Campus Support and Security team on campus in their new, blue uniforms! With around 85 members of staff, this team’s priority is your welfare. If you need help on campus, whatever that may be, don’t be shy to stop and chat to one of our friendly Campus Support and Security team members. They can help you with things like:
- First aid if you or your mates get injured on campus
- Getting back into your halls if you lock yourself out
- Giving you directions if you get lost on your way to class
- Securing your bike so it’s less likely to get stolen
- Supporting with any security issues
- Helping you if you or your mates don’t feel safe
- Responding to requests on SafeZone
Following feedback from students, and the Students’ Union, from this September we’ve changed the team’s name from Security to Campus Support and Security to reflect that their priority is student welfare. We’ve also changed their uniforms, moving away from the black, police-style uniform previously worn, to a University of Manchester blue with the aim that you feel more comfortable approaching the team. Thank you to everyone who provided us with feedback.
Download the SafeZone App
SafeZone is our safety and wellbeing app, designed to give you extra peace of mind on campuses across the city or living in accommodation.
The SafeZone app is free to download and easy to use and we recommend that all students have it on their phones. You can use it to:
- ‘Check in’ any time of day – tell us where you are on campus 24/7
- Quickly and discreetly call for assistance – whether it’s for first aid or in an emergency
- Keep up to date – notifications sent directly to your phone if there is an incident on campus
You can use SafeZone to call for help in areas of Fallowfield and Victoria Park, The University of Manchester campus, Manchester Metropolitan University campus and University of Salford campus. Any student can use the SafeZone app to get assistance on any of these campuses – no matter which university you attend.
Find out more about SafeZone.
Report and Support
We have a zero-tolerance policy on bullying, harassment, discrimination, gender-based violence, hate or micro-aggressions. If you or someone you know has experienced any of these, you can report it anonymously or get support from a trained advisor at Report and Support.