Whether you’re starting this year knowing what you want to do, still exploring your options, or looking for experience, this semester is the perfect time to get some insight into different sectors and industries out there.
Throughout October the Careers service have a range of events and fairs will be packed with information and advice from careers staff and employers. We want to make sure that you have all the information you need to take the next step in thinking about your career.
Many employers only attend fairs once a year and this tends to be in the autumn, so it’s best to start early when it comes to preparing for your future. And if you’re in your final year, many recruiters advertise jobs a year in advance, so applications are opening for jobs that won’t start until you’ve finished your degree.
- Graduate Schemes Week: Monday 3 – Friday, 7 October: This programme of careers events is designed to help you find out more about graduate schemes and their recruitment processes.
- Skills Week: Monday 10 – Friday, 14 October: join this programme of careers events that will help you understand, develop and articulate your skills.
- The Autumn Careers Fair: Tuesday, 18 & Wednesday, 19 October
- The STEM Careers Fair : Wednesday 12, Thursday 13 and Wednesday, 26 October
- Your Future Essentials: Throughout October
Many employers open applications for their competitive programmes and schemes early, and so attending events, especially where they are is one of the best way to get a head start when it comes to thinking about what employers are looking for, and what the application process entails.
You’ll also probably find that many employers send recent graduates to represent them at Careers Fairs, and so it’s the perfect place to get first-hand insight into an industry you might be interested in m the roles on offer and the application process. Be sure to ask lots of questions – they’re the best people to get the answers from!
To find out more about the events and fairs (including which exhibitors will be attending each) visit the Careers Service website.