Could you reduce your 80,000 word thesis to 180 seconds to try and win £500
Once again the University of Manchester will be taking part in the national Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition in 2023.
Postgraduate Researchers from across the University are invited to present a compelling spoken presentation on their research topic and its significance in just three minutes only using one static PowerPoint slide.
In the UK, the 3MT national competition final is hosted by Vitae. Individual UK universities run their own competitions and put forward one winner per participating institution for the national finals.
Why take part?
3MT develops academic, presentation, and research communication skills and supports the development to effectively explain research in language appropriate to a non-specialist audience. You will also have access to exclusive 3MT participant training on Thursday 9th March 2023.
Also, don’t forget the prizes:
- Winner – £500
- Second prize – £250
- Third prize – £100
What are the rules?
The rules are simple:
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes (presentations exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified).
- 1 static slide is required to accompany the presentation.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment and animated backgrounds) are permitted within the recording.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted within the video recording.
All presentations will then be judged according to the same 3MT judging criteria.
Am I eligible?
The competition is open to all active second and final year PhD candidates (including candidates in their submission pending period or whose thesis is under examination) by the date of the registration deadline (31st March 2023).
How do I register?
You have until Friday 31st March to register. You can register using the online form.
What is the competition timeline?
- Sign up for 3MT online training session on 9th March 2023.
- Complete the registration form on or before Friday 31st March 2023.
- Create your presentation slide and film your presentation.
- Submit your final 3MT presentation / slide by 21st April 2023. Please use wetransfer (or similar) to email your video file and slide (either PDF or JPG) to email@example.com.
- Video Judging (22nd April – Mid May)
- Finalists announced – Mid May.
- Finalists training session with individual feedback – Late May 2023 (TBC).
- UoM Final Event – 9th June 2023 (full details TBC)
- National final – September 2023