A welcome surprise awaits if you log on to cluster PCs this term: significant improvements in performance, login time and support services. Great news for all students on campus!
Over the summer major work has been carried out by IT Services to upgrade hardware, refresh applications and begin rolling out a new proactive support service. So, this term students can look forward to better PC availability and performance, and fewer interruptions.
- Out with the Old: PCs that were over 3 years old have been replaced, ensuring that students have access to modern and efficient computing resources.
- Upgraded Hardware: Newer PCs have been upgraded to meet higher minimum specifications, which include a minimum of 32 gigabytes of RAM, 1 terabyte of solid-state drive (SSD) storage, and i5 processors. These enhancements translate to smoother multitasking and quicker access to applications.
- Software Refresh: Alongside the hardware upgrades, the software has also been refreshed to provide a more up-to-date computing environment.
New support services
IT Services is rolling out tech to help spot and resolve issues with PCs ahead of and throughout the teaching day before they affect you. This tech will be live on all PC clusters by November.
How to Get Help
The University is committed to providing excellent support to students when needed. If you encounter any technical problems while using the PC clusters, here’s how to get assistance:
- IT Support Portal: Report issues through the IT Support Portal, accessible at www.itservices.manchester.ac.uk/help/.
- Phone Support: If you prefer speaking to someone directly, you can reach the IT Support Centre by calling 0161 306 5544. This telephone support service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, ensuring that you can get assistance whenever you need it.