Accommodation Starting Uni Student-made

Moving into Uni Halls and Your First Year Accommodation

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Moving can be particularly daunting. It involves change and moving out of your comfort zone. There’s no reason, however, why this can’t be an amazing thing. I found that meeting up with friends and family before moving to university, despite it being sad, was very beneficial. It’s important to feel supported and loved during this period of your life and it offers a good amount of closure until you see them again a few months later.

During my first year at The University of Manchester, from September 2020, I moved into halls. I was in Richmond Park, Fallowfield which is one of the many accommodation types the university offers. I was in halls with seven other people (flats of eight), and I had self-catering accommodation with an en suite. I remember how I felt in the weeks and days leading up to my move into uni halls. I was filled with exhilaration and nerves and I wasn’t entirely sure how my university experience would play out, but I knew it would be life-changing, and that’s exactly what it turned out to be. After two years of university I am definitely a different person than I was before I started, and I have changed for the better. Living independently in uni halls is wonderful because it means that you can study, socialise, celebrate, and experience university life in a community of like-minded people that inevitably puts you on the road to success. 

Before I moved into halls I found the most stressful thing was making sure I had everything I needed for the big move. I made checklist after checklist to ensure I wasn’t forgetting to buy anything, and to ensure I wasn’t leaving anything behind either. This preparation was a life-saver and being organised meant that I avoided so much stress and panic in the days leading up to moving. As somebody whose been in your shoes, I recommend buying what you need and packing in August. Below is a thorough list of everything I took with me as I moved into uni halls in my first year. Whilst it is all optional, treat it as a checklist to get yourself in the right frame of mind.

Bedroom and Bathroom:

• Duvet/quilt and pillows (make sure they fit your bed size)
  • Bed covers (make sure they are the right size!)
  • 2 bath towels 
  • 2 hand towels 
  • Airer/clothes horse (beneficial if you don’t want to spend extra money on machine-drying your clothes)
  • Small bin for your bedroom 
  • Pedal bin for your bathroom (depending on whether you have an en-suite)
  • Washing/laundry basket 
  • Clothing hangers 
  • Extension lead(s)
  • Notepads and stationary 
  • Washing detergent and fabric conditioner
  • Bathroom cleaning supplies
  • Bedroom cleaning supplies 

Kitchen:

At least two:

• Forks
  • Knives
  • Tablespoons
  • Teaspoons
  • Wooden spoons
  • Bowls
  • Plates
  • Glasses
  • Mugs
  • Oven trays
  • Chopping boards 
  • Cooking knives 
  • Saucepans

At least one: 

• Fish slice/spatula 
  • Large/serving spoon 
  • Whisk
  • Measuring jug 
  • Oven and microwave-safe bowl 
  • Grater
  • Scissors
  • Tupperware
  • Frying pan
  • Colander/sieve

General:

• Tin foil
  • Cling film 
  • Food bags 
  • Kitchen cleaning supplies 
  • Washing up sponge/scourer or Dishmatic
  • Washing-up liquid

Accommodation and Moving Tips:

• If you’re sharing a kitchen try and buy distinctive kitchenware to avoid it getting mixed up with the rest of your flat’s belongings. 
  • Look up whether you need to buy a kettle, toaster, or microwave and be prepared to buy one as a flat and split the costs. 
  • Remember to personalise your space when you move into halls! There’s nothing worse than moving into a small box-like room and having bare walls with no personal touches. Example of things you could consider: photos of loved ones, posters, fairy/LED lights, etc.
  • Take pictures/videos of your accommodation when you move in so that you have photographic and/or videographic evidence of the state of your accommodation to prevent any restrictions in getting your deposit back. 
  • I advise that you wait until Christmas to see your loved ones at home again. Many people find that visiting home before the first semester is over makes it more difficult to settle into your accommodation and university life properly, and may increase the risk of feeling homesick.